Online portfolios are a simple way of creating a digital presentation of skills or examples of projects that can be displayed by a professional. They’re an easy way to demonstrate (particularly in more creative/visual based fields) the skills and knowledge that an individual possesses in a more tangible way than dot points on a resume might convey. It’s also an effective and simple method to add additional content and promotable material into a website, without detracting from the site’s key messaging.
A good online portfolio is more than a showcase of past work. It is an experience that will stay with visitors to the website as a result of the impression it has left on them. Much like how websites should be engaging and dynamic with their design, a portfolio should demonstrate your capabilities and skills in its presentation and content.
Elements of a portfolio that should be considered in the design process include:
- A portfolio should not have to be started from scratch every time. Build a portfolio that is accessible for updates and revisions, durable, designed for the long term and only needs to be updated with fresh content and styles to reflect creative development.
- Content for the portfolio should be visually appealing and well written – ensure that copy written for the portfolio keeps in mind the message that is aiming to be delivered by the portfolio’s owner.
- Always ensure that it is obvious whose portfolio is being displayed – a name and specialty on the homepage of the portfolio is a simple way to address this.
- All copy must be free of mistakes, grammatical errors and spell-checked. It’s layout and formatting should also be consistent.
- Acknowledge the contributions of people involved in the projects beyond the owner – it shows great team spirit and explains better the part that the owner of the portfolio did play.
- Confirm that the portfolio is mobile-interface friendly, as many people may view it via their mobile phones and should not have their user experience negatively affected.
A well crafted portfolio can have additional benefits to a website beyond simply displaying abilities or skills. Filling in the metadata of any images and pages, choosing a good domain name for hosting and making sure to use strategic keywords for Google to associate with the site can be simple ways to improve a design portfolio’s ranking on Google search results.
Online portfolios can be an effective way to present yourself to the digital market. Consider employing this strategic marketing tool to utilise your website to its fullest potential.